Rufus is free app that formats and creates bootable USB flash drives on Windows 10. Download Rufus to quickly and easily create bootable USB, pen-drives and memory sticks on PC Windows 10. This light utility app does not take much hard disk space, creates and copies ISO files to USB flash drives faster than many other bootable USB creator program available on the market. Rufus for Windows 10 is for you if you are looking for installing a new OS on the PC, you want to use an app that creates bootable drives quickly and isn’t heavy on system resources, for creating USB installation media from bootable ISO image files or to use DOS for flashing BIOS.
see this helpful guide: How to Download Windows 10 Pro ISO File
Before showing you the method of using Rufus for creating bootable drives, let’s take a look at some of the main aspects of this utility software program below.
Main Features of Rufus:
Rufus is compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista & XP (32/64bit). It is easy to install and user-interface is simple to use that presents options in easy to understand layout and terms, so that even non-experts can easily use it for creating bootable USB drives and load OS on any PC with that memory stick. Other feature include:
- Automatic formatting of a new or used USB drives before the copying of iso image files onto them.
- Options to select OS version, partition, and devices.
- With just a click of a button Rufus will carry out the entire bootable USB creation process automatically for you, no need to remember complex steps.
- Just create an ISO image from physical disc or other files using top cd burning app and use that image for creating bootable USB drives with Rufus.
- UEFI and GPT formats are supported for installation media creation for allowing you to install Windows 7/8 & Linus in EFI mode from bootable USB.
- Multiple language support.
- No need to install Rufus for using it on Windows PC, just download and run it on Windows 10.
Version 2.8 is the latest version, for downloading older versions of Rufus click here for full list.
How to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus for Windows 10:
It is very easy to create bootable flash drives so that you can carry them around with you in pocket or wallet and restore the working version of the operating system if the current one malfunctions. Follow step-by-step guide below for it:
1 – Download Rufus from the link provided above.
2 – Click on the downloaded file to open Rufus.
3 – Connect USB flash drive with PC via USB flash port.
4 – Rufus will automatically recognize the USB drive which you just connected with PC, if not, then manually select the USB flash on which you want to copy ISO image files for booting Windows OS.
5 – Rufus window will open with a list of options listed on it.
6 – Select the bootable USB drive name and location under ‘device’ option.
7 – Choose partition scheme, target system type, file system, cluster size and volume label under the respective options.
8 – Make sure ‘create a bootable disk using’ option is checked and select ‘iso image’ from the drop down menu next to it. This step is important otherwise USB drive will not be able to boot.
9 – Now click the start button to begin bootable USB drive creation process.
10 All done. Let the program finish the process and close the app. Remove the USB flash drive from the system.
Latest version Rufus 2.8.886 is compatible with Windows 10.